Thursday, April 17, 2008

balancing act

I have been thinking that I need to find that fine balance between work, home, and myself. That if I just get back to that balance, everything will be ok and things will go much more smoothly. Being in bed sick for 5 days I had some time to think. Have I ever really had a balance? No! This is nothing new, not that I just cant find that balance now that I have a kid. Since I have had this job, I have not had any sort of balance in my life.

Let's talk about last year... I was pregnant. Exhausted! My job is on my feet, 60 hours a week in the spring (first trimester!) and 50 in summer and fall. When I wasnt working I was sleeping. I was so exhausted last year. I remember I took one day off last fall for a massage and pedi. that was nice, otherwise there was no me time. Then I had maternity leave.... there was no me time there either because I found this mommy thing to be difficult and I was tired.

In previous years (not pregnant) I worked a ton more hours. More like 70 plus in the spring, 50 in summer, and 60 in the fall each week. In previous years I went thru spring in a haze, only had enough time to eat and sleep besides work- and that wasnt enough either! I just worked way too much. Sure, there was the time off in the winter. But my question is: how do you find balance working a seasonal job? It seems I have given up the "me" part till winter in the past years, and I dont think I can do that anymore. I don't quite know how to fix it either.

2 comments:

The Ratcliff's said...

have you thought about finding another job? is that an option??

Sarah said...

finding another job.... always an option I guess. I really do like this job, but the number of hours and the demands of it are getting to me. I am entertaining the thought of working PT at my job instead. that might help me find that balance.